building hugin on OSX [Re: [ptx] mono and autopano-sift under OS X using fink]

JD Smith jdsmith at as.arizona.edu
Mon Aug 21 17:42:23 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 08:41 +0200, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> Daniel M. German schrieb:
> > I finally downloaded and installed mono and autopano-sift on my
> > laptop. I used fink (I needed to download the latest version of the
> > packages).
> >
> >>From the tests I have done autopano.exe works well, but autopanog.exe
> > crashes after the optimization starts. I believe it is a gtk-sharp
> > issue.
> >
> > Fink is currently carrying autopano-sift, enblend, pano12. If we can
> > make hugin compile from the command line I'll create the .info file
> > and make sure its added to the fink distribution. It will certainly
> > make it easy to install for those who use fink.
>
> I have added a script to the CVS that builds a hugin bundle using the
> command line. Please note that libpano 2.8.4 need a patch to compile on
> Intel OSX, since it is hardcoded to the PPC endianiess and does some ugly
> #define p2cstr(x)
> stuff which breaks the carbon includes.
> The patches can be found in the mac directory of the hugin source. I have
> already applied them to the new pano13.
>
> For more instruction look at the mac/build_using_cmdline.sh script.

Very cool, thanks.  You mention in build_using_cmdline.txt the
limitation of "no universal binary".  You might be interested in this
tech-note from Apple -- 'Building Universal Binaries from
"configure"-based Open Source Projects':

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

It would also be great to have a configure option ("--distribution")
that allows building a statically-linked Hugin.app for distribution.

One other very minor point: though you call the application "hugin.app",
most of the resources in the plist file still list "HuginOSX".  In think
"Hugin" and "Hugin.app" would be preferred, since capitalization is
standard.  Including the "OSX" is IMO superfluous, since the ".app" part
makes that clear (e.g. on Windows, Hugin is not called huginXP.exe).
Also, eventually OSX will become OSXI (or who knows what).

Thanks again!

JD