building hugin on OSX [Re: [ptx] mono and autopano-sift under OS X using fink]

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Mon Aug 21 18:38:50 BST 2006

JD Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 08:41 +0200, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
>> Daniel M. German schrieb:
>>>
>>> Fink is currently carrying autopano-sift, enblend, pano12. If we can
>>> make hugin compile from the command line I'll create the .info file
>>> and make sure its added to the fink distribution. It will certainly
>>> make it easy to install for those who use fink.
>> I have added a script to the CVS that builds a hugin bundle using the
>> command line. Please note that libpano 2.8.4 need a patch to compile on
>> Intel OSX, since it is hardcoded to the PPC endianiess and does some ugly
>> #define p2cstr(x)
>> stuff which breaks the carbon includes.
>> The patches can be found in the mac directory of the hugin source. I have
>> already applied them to the new pano13.
>>
>> For more instruction look at the mac/build_using_cmdline.sh script.
>
> Very cool, thanks.  You mention in build_using_cmdline.txt the
> limitation of "no universal binary".  You might be interested in this
> tech-note from Apple -- 'Building Universal Binaries from
> "configure"-based Open Source Projects':
>
> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

While I haven't read this document yet, it is probably possible when
specifiying some special ./configure flags to build a ppc and an i386
version, and merging them afterwards. However, people that will use
darwinports or fink will not have the dependencies compiled for the
different architectures, so it is more complicated to build everything, and
one can then use the same way ippei is building the OS X binaries (which is
documented in the same subdirectory).

The goal was an easy way to compile hugin for use on the machine, and enable
distribution of hugin through darwinports or fink, not building an universal
binary.

If somebody creates a script to build a universal binary using the
commandline I will of course distribute it with hugin.

> It would also be great to have a configure option ("--distribution")
> that allows building a statically-linked Hugin.app for distribution.

Isn't that possible with the --enable-static --disable-shared already? One
just has to build all dependencies statically as well...

> One other very minor point: though you call the application "hugin.app",
> most of the resources in the plist file still list "HuginOSX".  In think
> "Hugin" and "Hugin.app" would be preferred, since capitalization is
> standard.  Including the "OSX" is IMO superfluous, since the ".app" part
> makes that clear (e.g. on Windows, Hugin is not called huginXP.exe).
> Also, eventually OSX will become OSXI (or who knows what).

I have gone the way of least resistance :-) Also my intuitions sometimes
failed, when I thought what OS X users expect ;-)

Ippei, what do you think?