[ptx] Hugin for OS X problems

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Nov 3 23:06:57 GMT 2005

Dennis,

When stitching panos that are made up of a larger number of images you will
use a lot of system resources.  I have done 360 degree stitches with hugin
but it does take a long time to run and it needs a fair amount of diskspace.
My only 360 degree stitch had 8 17 megapixel images that created a 360x74
degree pano.  On my amd64 3500 machine running everything in 64 bit mode it
took it most of the night to complete the stitch and I am sure that it used
lots of diskspace but I don't know how much.  Having 4 gig free while doing
large stitches is probably marginal at best and I normally have at least 15
to 20 gig free on the drive I use for this.

Doing these larger panoramas is pushing the limits of both the hardware and
the software.  When doing these large stitches it is best to make sure that
you have significantly more diskspace than needed.  Because if you don't it
will fail only after running for hours which is a real bummer.

Since you are just getting started you should probably be working with smaller
images at this time.  There is a significant learning curve to using these
tools and when working with very large stitches you magnify that learning
curve.  A 12 image stitch should probably wait until you have a least a
handful of smaller stitches under your belt.  Go in the back yard or down the
street and shot some 3 or 4 image panos to help learn more about the tools.

Yes it is normal for your CPU to be maxed out while an image is being
stitched.  This is an extremely CPU intensive task.  As to what affect hiding
Hugin has I can't offer any insights.

Hal