[ptx] enblend 1.0; blending error; source image generation

Halla Markus markus.halla at siemens.com
Tue Mar 30 08:53:18 BST 2004

Hi Andrew,

first congratulation to this wonderfull piece of software you have written.

Also the new version 1.0 is much faster and needs less amount of memory than
0.9 there is sometimes a problem in the final image.

I have 2 sample images blended with version 0.9 and version 1.0. While the
old version is ok in the new version there is a small triangle visible which
is shifted some pixels upwards and which have also a darker luminosity.

See the test images under http://ptsuite.sourceforge.net/enblend-test/

An other point is the generation of the source images.
I always read that ptstitcher with "tiff_m" should be called. But the masks
which the ptstitcher creates for each of the generated images are blending
masks which don't cover the whole source image area. So you loose
information and quality when you blend these images. The only correct way
that I know to generate the source images with ptstitcher is to create many
panoramas with "tiff_mask" which contain always only one source image. Then
the mask in the projected image is correct.

Markus Halla