[ptx] Feature Request for hugin

Mike Runge mike at trozzreaxxion.net
Mon Mar 29 15:22:03 BST 2004

Hi Lars,

my first steps doing a multirow (with PTAssembler some time ago) where as
frustating as your describtion sounds ;-)
I'm not sure, if it is required, but for me it also didn't worked to define
'obsolete' overlaps. Will mean:
for a pattern like
1  3  3
4  5  6
I always get good results building pairs for 1:2, 2:3, 4:5, 5:6 and 1:4, 3:5,
3:6. I always had problems defining in addition pairs like 1:5, 1:3, ... so I
don't do that.
Unfortunately autopano finds these unwanted pairs and (in my case) it works
better if I delete them.

What always helps me in case of trouble and getting crowded results is to add
some more constraints using the way of optimisation.
E.G:
I had problems with a 360 DEG singlerow (20 pics) - it was totally crowded
and unsolveable. In the end it turn out that just 2 pairs were wrong. I found
this pairs while setting image 0 fix to 0, 0, 0 (y, p, r) and image 10
(should be approx. 180 DEG) to 180, 0, 0 (y, p, r). Then I optimized just y,
p, r for all images exept the both images (0 and 10). This help to see
directly that there was a curve somewhere (I think image 13) and that the
optimizer tried to roll this image unexpected. It turned out, that a pair
between 13:14 was wrongly detected by autopano and after deleting this pair
optimisation was simple and I was able to optimise the temporay fixed image
10 as well.
I hope this helps you getting after your mismatch reason?!

I think ptgui has a kind of wysiwyg-positioner - very nice and helpful if you
have some problems.
As a shortcoming I would be content and very pleased with a possibility to
re-arrange the sequence the image lists appear in hugin. Just some up/down
buttons like in PTOpenGui ....

best, mike