[ptx] HUGIN/Autopano/Enblend/suggestions

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Mon Mar 15 09:01:52 GMT 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Marko Mäkelä wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:15:03PM +0100, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Ute Karsten Kiessling wrote:
> >
> > > But now I found the HUGIN-Project and I'am very impressed from your work
> > > on HUGIN, Enblend and autopano, congratulation! In HUGIN I was surprised
> > > over the exact and easy setting and finetune of the controlpoints. (I
> > > only missed or have not found the option to rotate the pictures or tile
> > > the window horizontaly).
> >
> > I didn't have a need for that so far, since I usually rotate the pictures
> > with jpegtran, as soon as I download them from the camera.
>
> I've understood that Hugin already makes use of some Exif information in
> images taken with a digital camera.  Why not make use of the Orientation
> tag as well?  Some cameras initialize this field automatically with the
> help of a tilt sensor; many others have a menu option for setting the
> image orientation.  Usually cameras allow the user to set the orientation
> to 3 of the 8 possible orientation values, but I'd implement all rotations
> and flippings, as it is not that hard.

Hmm, I might add that as an option. however I usually do not explicitly set
the orientation, and my cam doesn't contain an orientation sensor. The
thing is, if I just rotate the images in the gui, the roll, pitch & yaw
parameters will look strange. I would have to change the image files.

However, I really think that it is the software/process that downloads the
images from the camera and not hugin that should do the rotation.

What I might do earlier is adding thumbnail caching support (probably as
external files, since I need bigger thumbnails, for the stitching in the
preview window.)

> I'm very pleased to read that you are going to integrate all algorithms in a
> single executable.  In that way, the software will be easier to use, and you
> will avoid all conversion and parsing problems.

In the future I hope to archive this. But with stuff like enblend I'll first
add the multi layer tiff capability to the original program, and then think
about adjusting it so that it fits into the hugin framework (processing of
16bit and float images).