[ptx] HUGIN/Autopano/Enblend/suggestions

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Mon Mar 15 08:43:01 GMT 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:15:03PM +0100, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Ute Karsten Kiessling wrote:
>
> > But now I found the HUGIN-Project and I'am very impressed from your work
> > on HUGIN, Enblend and autopano, congratulation! In HUGIN I was surprised
> > over the exact and easy setting and finetune of the controlpoints. (I
> > only missed or have not found the option to rotate the pictures or tile
> > the window horizontaly).
>
> I didn't have a need for that so far, since I usually rotate the pictures
> with jpegtran, as soon as I download them from the camera.

I've understood that Hugin already makes use of some Exif information in
images taken with a digital camera.  Why not make use of the Orientation
tag as well?  Some cameras initialize this field automatically with the
help of a tilt sensor; many others have a menu option for setting the
image orientation.  Usually cameras allow the user to set the orientation
to 3 of the 8 possible orientation values, but I'd implement all rotations
and flippings, as it is not that hard.

If you are going to implement this, you may want to know that the iPhoto and
Image Capture tools on some versions of Apple Mac OS X apparently modify the
Exif information, adding a duplicate Orientation field.  I don't have
first-hand experience of this, but someone reported problems with my "exifiron"
tool (http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/graphics/packages/photomolo/photomolo.html)

> Actually, nona already outputs such tiff files (no need for geotiff, the
> normal tiff standart already defines the needed tags), its just enblend
> which doesn't handle them. As I'd like to add enblend's blending to nona,
> this won't be a big problem I hope.

I'm very pleased to read that you are going to integrate all algorithms in a
single executable.  In that way, the software will be easier to use, and you
will avoid all conversion and parsing problems.

	Marko