[ptx] HUGIN/Autopano/Enblend/suggestions

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Mon Mar 15 09:36:11 GMT 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:01:52AM +0100, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> Hmm, I might add that as an option. however I usually do not explicitly set
> the orientation, and my cam doesn't contain an orientation sensor.

I set the orientation in the camera (Canon Digital Ixus 300), as I think it's
much easier there than on a computer user interface.

> The thing is, if I just rotate the images in the gui, the roll, pitch & yaw
> parameters will look strange. I would have to change the image files.

Sorry, I don't understand your point.

> However, I really think that it is the software/process that downloads the
> images from the camera and not hugin that should do the rotation.

I agree that in order to avoid compatibility problems, the images should be
rotated by the copying software (such as exifiron and shell script front-end
I wrote for it).  Few (if any) image viewers on GNU/Linux support the Exif
Orientation tag.

You mentioned jpegtran.  While some versions of it allow you to losslessly
rotate Exif images, I haven't seen a version that would properly set all
Exif fields affected by rotation.  It only sets ExifImageWidth and
ExifImageHeight, but not RelatedImageWidth/RelatedImageHeight, or
XResolution/YResolution, or FocalPlaneXResolution/FocalPlaneYResolution,
or transform the Exif thumbnail.

	Marko