[ptx] Enblend performance with varying exposure values

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Apr 28 03:14:56 BST 2004

Hi JD,

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:19:04AM -0700, JD Smith wrote:

> For those users of enblend out there: have we reached the point that
> exposure lock is no longer necessary?  That is, can you fix the focus,
> and possibly the aperture (for good depth of field and/or resolution),
> but otherwise let the camera meter its own desired shutter speed?  I'd
> be interested in seeing example panoramas created with varying exposure
> values from image to image, and blended with enblend.  This obviously
> has the capacity to yield panoramas with higher dynamic range (think of
> including the sun along with deep shadows opposite the sun).

I made a pano recently where I forgot about locking the exposure time, here is
the result:
http://www.behind-the-wall.org/gallery/wuxie-shaoxing-panorama/200404_wuxie_damm

I think the color and brightness shifts look artistically interesting, but an
image with locked exposure would have produced a much better result. Especially
at the mountains, which tint out to black on the top.

bye,
Sebastian

PS: Next week I will put out a new version of my autopano-sift, as I corrected
all minor glitches in the algorithm for another project. (Besides the
commandline tools it might also include a small gtk gui). Now that all required
mono packages are in Debian/sid, it should be easy to test out, if you hugin
people would like to do so :)

--
nowozin at cs.tu-berlin.de --- http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~nowozin/