[ptx] Enblend performance with varying exposure values

Mike Runge mike at trozzreaxxion.net
Wed Apr 28 12:20:23 BST 2004

Hi JD,

>For those users of enblend out there: have we reached the point that
>exposure lock is no longer necessary?  That is, can you fix the focus,
>and possibly the aperture (for good depth of field and/or resolution),
>but otherwise let the camera meter its own desired shutter speed?  I'd
>be interested in seeing example panoramas created with varying exposure
>values from image to image, and blended with enblend.  This obviously
>has the capacity to yield panoramas with higher dynamic range (think of
>including the sun along with deep shadows opposite the sun).

I have to typical examples to show:
http://www.trozzreaxxion.net/ut/gallery/panos/abm

This one was shot in manual mode, but:
#1 I varied the exposure time about 2 stops from picture to picture
#2 the situation varied between cloudy and sunny while taking the pictures.
The result without enblend is really not nice. There are still some
transitions to see Look in the middle, where I started/ended. You can see
that the light outside has changed during my session (left is dark, right is
bright).

And this one, 3 handheld pictures in full auto mode:
http://www.trozzreaxxion.net/ut/gallery/panos/abl

The middle one was much darker than the bottom and the top picture. If you
make the middle picture a bit brighter before running enblend I'm sure it
will result in a very nice pano.

I will have a look after the corresponding results without enblend so that
someone can compare what enblend has done.

best, mike