windows compilation

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Mon Sep 29 16:13:00 BST 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Mike Runge wrote:

> I need to work more in detail with hugin now, but I like it :-)

*g*

> What i really liked in PTOpenGui ist the setting of controlpoints with 2
> large windows and 2 small ones with different magnification. From my point of
> view the best kind of implementation I've seen so long. I would like to see a
> similar way to set controlpoints in hugin as well. Just a wish, I know that
> it's not the time to ask for features. I just mention this, because I think
> that this special feature in PTOpenGui is really much better than in
> concurrend products. An setting controlpoints is a major part of stitching
> panos for users.

Make sure that you are using the "auto finetune", this saves a lot of
time, I think. Usually the control points are matched almost perfectly.
And the auto matcher is quite fast (at least for small search areas).

I just tried a 360 deg cylindrical, with 16 source images and the average
control point error is below 1 pixel.

I remember that the default template size was very small (only 6
pixels), auto finetune works a better with bigger templates.

Since we do not have a preferences dialog yet, these values can only be
changed in the registry (windows) or config file(linux).

Currently I have the following default settings:

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.huginrc\CPEditorPanel\
keys:
finetuneTreshold:   0.8: threshold of the normalized cross correlation.
                         sensible values: 0.7 .. 1 (perfect match)
                        0.8 works well, but might miss some points, especially
                        on unsharp or pictures with different camera settings

templateSearchArea:  10: width of the search area, in percent of the
                         target image
templateSize:  14:  width of the template in pixels.

These settings were different on earlier versions of hugin, it it might
help to change them or remove the whole .huginrc registry branch.

But I have only tried it on rectangular input images. if someone has
fisheye images, please let me know how well it works.

I might add some small window so that one can check the result more
easily. I usually work with "fit to window" zoom, and click on spots
that seem to fitting. have the two small image displays like ptopengui
would make checking easier.

I don't know why PTOptimizer doesn't show its window during
optimisation. (well in windows at least. the linux version of
PTOptimizer doesn't have an own preview)

btw. I added some new features today (a show all points list, that
jumps to the selected point, useful to easily find the bad control
points).

Just try to use it and report errors or ideas how it can be improved.

The Preview window is also broken, at least on windows.