Panorama stitchers, feathering, seaming etc..

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Oct 29 15:07:35 GMT 2003

Am 29.10.03, 14:03 -0000 schrieb Bruno Postle:

> Not really, all it does is maximise the width of the feather to
> match the width of the overlap.  With ptools the feather width is
> fixed per panorama, which means that it may be too-small or
> too-large for any pair of images.

Yes, thats basically a good thing. What, if the sources are very small
overlapped and show regions with different lightness? For smooth walls and
skys there is no problem to determin how to brighten or darken the images.

It should be possible to adjust the sources from averaging the overlap
differences and then do an overall correction from the middle of the
image till the border. This can then been combined with Your credibility
method to make last artifacts invisible (hope). I like to do it with the
CPs as basis for dE mesurement of the different layers/sources.

> > Interessting. Did You compute Your examples or are they handmade?
>
> Both, the credibility map was created in the gimp with this set of
> commands:
>
>     layer -> add alpha channel
>     layer -> add layer mask -> white
>     set foreground: white
>     set background: black
>     set blend -> shapeburst (angular)
>     do blend
>     layer -> apply layer mask
>
> PTStitcher is really broken with input images that have alpha
> channels, so I used my slow perl tool to do the remapping.  Though I
> could have re-mapped the alpha-channels separately and applied them
> in the gimp.
>
> I cobbled-together a horrible perl script that does the actual
> merging:
>
>     http://bugbear.blackfish.org.uk/~bruno/feathering/merge.pl

Thanks for let us see.

> Though this is a mess and needs writing properly to be more generic
> (it only takes two input images).
>
> It could also be rewritten as a gimp plug-in, in fact the whole
> stitching/merging/colour-correction procedure as performed by
> panorama-tools could be done entirely in the gimp - since it is
> nothing to do with panoramas anyway.
>
> How about this as a tool-chain:
>
>   - Hugin doesn't do stitching, the stitcher just spits out a series
>     of png images for every layer in the output panorama (or a
>     single multi-layer xcf file with individual layer masks).

I thought allready about merging the ptools tiffs directly in hugin.

> The advantage of doing this in the gimp is that tweaks could be made
> by hand before using the automated merging.

agree.

Kai-Uwe