Panorama stitchers, feathering, seaming etc..

Mike Runge mike at trozzreaxxion.net
Wed Oct 29 15:06:05 GMT 2003

Hi Bruno,

>How about this as a tool-chain:
>
>  - Hugin doesn't do stitching, the stitcher just spits out a series
>    of png images for every layer in the output panorama (or a
>    single multi-layer xcf file with individual layer masks).
>
>  - A merge plug-in for the gimp stitches _any_ multilayer image
>    using panorama-tools style feathering and colour correction.
>
>The advantage of doing this in the gimp is that tweaks could be made
>by hand before using the automated merging.

I would like this not only from the perspective of a more clever feathering
process. I would like this as well because I often use the single
images/layers to tweak some moving objects.

This works fine for PS-Users (PNG-masks), but for Gimp you just can use the
multiple Tiffs (great that it works now) or the masked Tiff's (what I don't
understand to use like I would like to do it?!). A file with multiple layers
and mask that are modifieable would be very helpful and much more comfortable
for a lot of tasks. Most of the time you get better results because you just
make the crops (with lasso and feathering) at areas, that are less critical.

Actually I do two stitches:
- one for the complete tiff
- one to get the multiple tiffs

I just edit the complete one with the single tiff in areas, where I think it
is required. The downside are tow runs of the stitcher, but I don't need to
manually crop and stitch all of the multiple images.

best, mike