[semi] automatic registration [was hugin beta release]

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Tue Oct 14 16:14:37 BST 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Mike Runge wrote:

> Pablo,
>
> I don't have any experiences or skills with feature recognition and so I'm
> maybe not allowed to jump into that discussion?! So I didn't send this mail
> to list. But I have a idea (probably not new ;-) ), that maybe is worth of
> having a look after:

oh, sure you are allowed to do ;)

> What do you think about letting the user pick f.e. 8 points in a so called
> 'reference pair'.
> Use this pixel positions of e.g the left picture for all left pictures in all
> pairs of the same row.
> Use aft (maybe with larger search region) with a initial position taken from
> the corresponding point of the right picture of the pair.

Hmm, the "copy control points from imagepair x-y, and fine tune afterwards"
function? Hmm. could work well for some single row panos.

> The same could be happen (with different ref pairs) for each row or for
> vertical mapping (pic1-row1 to pic1-row2).

vertical mapping is more critical (for images with focal lengths around 35
mm or so). It might not work to good there, at least with the current
matching algorithm

> The downsides (as far as I can see):
> - usable gui required to specify ref-pairs and tell the algo what ref-pair to
> use for which pictures. Maybe not easy to understand what to do to get best
> results?!

The problem could be that the control points fall into areas that do not
have a lot of structure, like a wall or so, and then the correlation might not
find the right spot. this is why I prefer to use a feature (corner
detection) step to select suitable control points.

> This kind of idea would only be usefull for people, that create the
> individual pictures carfully following a specific method (same overlap,
> etc.). But I don't think that many people do multirows od sphaerical panos
> without tripod/nodal point adapter.

Well, actually I do ;) And since I'm implementing all the stuff, I'd like to have
features that make it easy to do my panos.