[ hugin-Bugs-823152 ] calculated total image size is off by magnitudes

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Tue Oct 14 15:06:08 BST 2003

Hi Johan,

> 1) add two pictures (left to right, with almost 50% overlap)
> as rectilinear
> 2) set several (10 ish) correspondance points

Oh, here you need to optimize the image position (the optimize tab).
this doesn't happen automatically when setting the correspondance
points.

The optimize step shifts the pictures into the right direction. its probably
not intuitive for people who havne't used pano tools before.
I definatly have to add a "you forgot to run the optimizer"
message :)

(and improve the optimizer tab. Probably some guiding text in each tab
is also nessecary, for people not familar with panorama tools)

> 3) click "calc FoV" (was 360/180 I think) -> becomes 54ish/34ish
> 4) click "calc size" (was 3000ish) -> becomes _smaller_ than
> one of the stiched pictures.
> 5) rendered picture has large border of black (order of 200
> pixels per side): I would expect at least two sides to be
> flush with image boundary.
> 6) confusion
>
> What I expected was that my control points would have
> implied a total image width after fitting each input image,
> and that the resulting image would be just big enough to
> hold this, without borders.

the optimisation step does this.

> Easiest would be for you could post a simple tutorial
> project with sameple pix (as I'm sure others will want this
> as well): if you want I could send you two of mine and you
> could see what I did wrong and post the fix and process here.

Mike Runge is currently working a tutorial, which will be posted
on the hugin website when its ready.