[semi] automatic registration [was hugin beta release]

Mike Runge mike at trozzreaxxion.net
Tue Oct 14 19:42:27 BST 2003

Hi Pablo,

>vertical mapping is more critical (for images with focal lengths around 35
>mm or so). It might not work to good there, at least with the current
>matching algorithm

Worked good for me so far:
http://www.trozzreaxxion.net/ut/gallery/multirowpano
For the last three panos aft worked well - even for the vertical mapping
(54.4mmKB, 15~25 DEG pitch). AFT reduced my time of picking points to less
than half of what I needed using PTOpenGui.
Ok, it will fail much more often if the pitch angle get bigger :-(

>The problem could be that the control points fall into areas that do not
>have a lot of structure, like a wall or so, and then the correlation might
not
>find the right spot. this is why I prefer to use a feature (corner
>detection) step to select suitable control points.

Sure. But imagine, that you have to specify e.g. ~30 Point-Pairs for a
multirow with 2 rows (let's say 10 pics each row). 10 pairs for an image-pair
in row1, 10 for an image-pair in row 2 and 10 for an image-pair between row1
and row2. Let's say, that 5 points will fail for each image
(pessimisticly?!).
That means, you will get  155 pairs by just defining 30!
- 30 pairs given (you picked them self)
- 8x5=40 pairs for row1
- 8x5=40 pairs for row2
- 9x5=45 pairs for vertical mapping (row1/row2)
125 pairs for free!

And it will be much better for panos with more images per row (e.g 360 DEG/24
pics in my case) :)

Okay,
a problem will be the following:
If half of the points fail - how good and reliable will be the results of
PTOptimizer? But if aft recognizes, that it fails (and you don't create this
pair at all), you problably will have only 2 bad pairs versus 5 good ones in
each image-pair within the calculation - that should work?!

Ok,
just my thoughts. I'm sure. that there are others with much more knowlegde
about all this recognition stuff ;-)

>Well, actually I do ;) And since I'm implementing all the stuff, I'd like to
have
>features that make it easy to do my panos.

Well, I have seen you panos in your gallery - very nice. Everybody needs to
decide, if he wants to reduce the effort while taking the pics or while
stitching them. Due to the fact that I'm not a programmer my decision was
clear *g*

best, mike