make issues

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Mon May 26 14:15:22 BST 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

I used some makefiles I had laying around and weren't too hard to use.
They also had the features I wanted:
- simple for the common case
- flexible (allows multiple libs/apps by just specifying the object
  files for them.)
- full dependency handling (unlike the previous simple makefiles used)
- easy to incoporate subdirs.

Since we do not need to build complicated stuff like shared libraries I thought
its ok to use thesm. autoconf/man probably allows compilation on some
more obscure unix machines than my makefiles.
I tried the autoconf/make stuff a few years ago and found it confusing and
errorprone. If some expert on autoconf that is around and and wants
to change to autoconf/automake its fine with me.

> Hi,
> what is the state of the hugin makefiles? Is it possible todo:
>  - installation (Where shall the .mo files go to?)

no yet impelemnted. but it shouldn't be too hard.

>  - .xrs compilation

not done either, but shouldn't be a problem to do

>  - some library cecks

as above: If somebody wants to add autoconf, go ahead.

>  - add new .cpp files ;) ?

that is pretty simple. the makefile.template contains enought
comments to do that I think.

simply ad the objects to the application you want to build. no need
to specify cpp and header files.

> I usually see configure for this kind of jobs, wich works well. I like to
> checkin the i18n stuff but dont know wether to continue with the current
> kind of makefile or to look for an change of out building scripts.

I haven't looked at what steps are needed for the i18 stuff, but I'll
have a look and if nobody volunteers to make a good transition to
automake/autoconf I'll add it to the makefiles.

> My suggestion is, if we have no longterm solution for later installation,
> I would look for something useful and adopt it for us.
> Or can somebody explain me how I can use the actual Makefile / config.mk

every dir contains a Makefile that specifies what applications / libs
are built from it. (I use libs for the internal "modules", like the jhead
exif code, or the panorama model that is independent from the GUI)

config.mk contains the configuration (tools etc.) this could be
generated by autoconf, or we could provide ones for different
systems.

rules.mk contains rules (how to build stuff), usually not interesting.

If you need a new directory, use Makefile.template as a template and add
your apps / libs and maybe adjust the compiler/linker options. don't
forget to set the right PREFIX.

Maye I should add more documentation to the template file. Whats the
part youre having trouble with? (except the unsupported stuff)

> Despite of this I expect we need 2 kind of make processes one for win(bcb)
> and one for *nix.

Probably a lot more (for all the different windows compilers...). But
lets leave it for developers with the right ide's to create these
project files.

supporing mingw should be quite easy with the current makefiles