[ptx] 'circle-kind' output of optimization for a 360 degree panorama

Sebastian scut at nb.in-berlin.de
Tue Dec 16 13:11:50 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 11:55:23AM +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:

> > So, reverting to the pre-optimization .pto file I choose "Position +
> > View" optimization, in the hope that a reduced fov would counter the
> > creation on a circle. The result of the optimization is the dialog shown
> > in the (opt-with-view.png) file.

> Yes, the first problem is probably caused by setting the FOV too high.
> When the FOV gets optimised to zero, it's normally because the
> positions of the images need to be quite good first.

> I can only suggest trying different values for the field-of-view and
> optimising positions until they are nearly-ok - After that, you can
> optimise the FOV.

Thank you for the quick reply Bruno, I understand FOV optimizations should
only be applied after the pictures are roughly aligned.

The problem is really that I cannot make it align in any sane way in the
first step before it comes to the fine tuning. I always end up at the "0"
shaped curve I posted a picture of in the previous email to this list.

I basically tried two things to change that:

 1. Adding spread control points to help counter "bending" of the images too
    far.

 2. Adding vertical lines to every image. (Also tried horizontal across
    multiple images)

While 1 does not seem to have any large effect (after around 500 iterations
its already curved beyond repair), the second slows the bending and it takes
around 1500 iterations to end in a similar broken curving.

I am really at the end of my (simple) knowledge about hugin and panotools.
Is there any obvious thing I missed?

Another small question: Do the settings in the "Stitcher" tab have any
effect on the optimization step/tab? (If so that is very unintuitive).

> --
> Bruno

ciao,
Sebastian

--
-. scut at nb.in-berlin.de -. + http://segfault.net/~scut/ `--------------------.
-' segfault.net/~scut/pgp `' 5453 AC95 1E02 FDA7 50D2 A42D 427E 6DEF 745A 8E07