[ptx] Re: vigra .src.rpm and fftw

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Sat Dec 6 20:04:19 GMT 2003

On Sat 06-Dec-2003 at 01:12:27 -0500, Ed Halley wrote:

> I'm aware that the new hugin stitcher (nona) doesn't need the fftw
> component of vigra, but Bruno's current posted .src.rpm and .rpm assume
> that you've got fftw also installed.

Oops, this is leftover, there is no real reason why this vigra rpm
should require fftw.

> (1) Can we document the nona/vigra/fftw issues a little more on the
> website?  Will we go the course of abandoning panotools in favor of nona
> and internal transformation code, eventually?

It took a while to figure this out, but so long as you build vigra
as dynamically linked, it doesn't produce libvigraimpex.so.  A
hugin/nona built in this environment doesn't require _any_
vigraimpex stuff since it is dynamically linked to libpng, libtiff
etc directly.

So the binary RPM for hugin only has panorama-tools, wxGTK &
wxGTK-xrc as special requirements in addition to normal system
libraries - You don't need vigra if all you want to do is install
and run hugin/nona via RPM.

> (2) Could Bruno please be so kind as to add an appropriate clean fftw
> .src.rpm and .rpm to his very helpful collection of downloads?  It's
> pretty predictable that hugin would be the first tool many users would
> want which requires (at least appears to require) the fftw.

I got my fftw from the same place as wxGTK (freshrpms.net), I didn't
even notice that it wasn't in default redhat/fedora.

I'll remove the fftw requirement.  I'm going out now, so in the
meantime I've just added the wxGTK and fftw RPMs to the download
area.

> (3) If one wanted to use the vigra rpm, but not fftw (oddly), how would
> someone go through the installation?   My naive try at (rpmbuild
> --rebuild vigra*.src.rpm --without-fftw) wasn't the ticket.

The quick and easy way is to force it:

   rpm -ivh --force vigra*.rpm

The correct answer is edit the spec file and rebuild, this isn't so
difficult, first install the source rpm:

   rpm -ivh vigra-1.2.0-3.src.rpm

This will put the vigra.spec file somewhere like this:

    /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/vigra.spec

Open it in your favourite editor and delete all the references to
fftw (there are four of them).  Then create your custom set of vigra
RPMs like so:

    rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/vigra.spec

--
Bruno