[ptx] hugin 20031124, 360 degree panorama: how to get rid of the curvature?

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Sat Dec 6 14:10:38 GMT 2003

On Sat 06-Dec-2003 at 12:37:34PM +0800, Sebastian wrote:

> I am a new and quite impressed user of hugin and PanoTools. I have
> successfully done two ~140 degree panoramas from 10-20 images and the
> results have been impressive. So, enthusiastic about that, I shot some 22
> 5MP photos to build a 360 degree panorama (2 lines, 11 pictures each, I
> estimate its roughly a 360x70 degree thing).

> I guessed it must be a size issue and just removed the lower line, leaving
> 11 pictures to be stitched. This time it worked, but the whole panorama is
> totally curved (left and right are at the top, center is at depths).

It would be really useful to see this picture, can you put it on the
web somewhere?

> The hugin panorama wizard says I should add some horizontal/vertical lines,
> which I did, but still its bend. I then tried to not stitch the leftmost and
> the rightmost picture together, which yields a much lower average distance
> for optimization and reduces the bending somewhat, but still its quite
> curved.

Possibly the value for horizontal field-of-view isn't accurate.
Have you calculated the field-of-view of your lens? (hugin reads
this value from the EXIF data written by the camera, but it isn't
always correct)

You could try the full circle of 11 pictures again and optimize
"Positions and View (y,p,r,v)" instead of "Positions (y,p,r)".

--
Bruno