[ptx] hugin 20031124, 360 degree panorama: how to get rid of the curvature?

Sebastian scut at nb.in-berlin.de
Sat Dec 6 04:37:34 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am a new and quite impressed user of hugin and PanoTools. I have
successfully done two ~140 degree panoramas from 10-20 images and the
results have been impressive. So, enthusiastic about that, I shot some 22
5MP photos to build a 360 degree panorama (2 lines, 11 pictures each, I
estimate its roughly a 360x70 degree thing).

Using hugin I set the points for the panorama and it only took me an hour or
so. While stitching it converted all single images but then stopped to work
(creating a zero sized .JPG). Since the output of PTStitcher is not shown, I
cannot do anything about it.

I guessed it must be a size issue and just removed the lower line, leaving
11 pictures to be stitched. This time it worked, but the whole panorama is
totally curved (left and right are at the top, center is at depths). As this
must be a FAQ, I checked and found some comments by Ed Hallen about this on
this mailing list. He said he could write a tutorial how to get rid of this
curvature. So I guess there must be a generic solution, but have been unable
to find it.

The hugin panorama wizard says I should add some horizontal/vertical lines,
which I did, but still its bend. I then tried to not stitch the leftmost and
the rightmost picture together, which yields a much lower average distance
for optimization and reduces the bending somewhat, but still its quite
curved.

Any hints to a newbie? :)

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

PS: As a result of hugin development I will do some cool 360 degree panos of
    the nicest places in Shanghai. :)

--
-. scut at nb.in-berlin.de -. + http://segfault.net/~scut/ `--------------------.
-' segfault.net/~scut/pgp `' 5453 AC95 1E02 FDA7 50D2 A42D 427E 6DEF 745A 8E07