About libpano

Peter Suetterlin pit@dot.iac.es
Fri, 3 May 2002 09:50:25 +0100

Bruno Postle wrote:

> Just looking at the file sizes, ptoptimizer is just an executable
> wrapper, but ptstitcher is a bit larger - Maybe it includes the
> colour-correction/feather stuff?

Hm, no, at least the colour correction seems to be in libpano
(adjust.c).

> If the price of having a 100% source-available package is that the
> output is a simple multi-layer gimp image (that needs manual adjustment
> for feathering and colour), then I think that's ok.

Sort of.  The colour adjustment is a very tricky thing, especially if
you are using (relatively) small-angle lenses: I have an 28mm
equivalent, which means I have to take in the order of 40 images for a
full pano.  Doing colour correction by hand then is an awful work...

> Actually, there are things about the existing feathering/stitching that
> could be much improved anyway.

ACK, but the idea behind the colour correction (histogram
equalisation) is nice.  I'd vote for either using/improving the one of
libpano, or include something ourself (or better yourself...
programming C isn't my thing, but I'dbe willing to help on algorithms)

  Pit

--
Dr. Peter "Pit" Suetterlin                 http://www.astro.uu.nl/~suetter
Sterrenkundig Instituut Utrecht