[ptx] stabilised bigfoot footage.

Rob Park rbpark at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 05:44:00 GMT 2006

Hi all,

I saw this GIF posted on digg today:

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/files/mk_davis_pgf.gif

It's the bigfoot video that has been stabilized so that you can
actually see what's happening. I thought it was really cool but I
noticed that it only corrects for x and y shift, doesn't correct for
rotation or anything.

It struck me that existing tools to create panoramas might be able to
do a better job of "stabilization" than seen in this clip. If the
original video could be decomposed into a series of JPEGs,
autopano-sift could easily create control points for each frame based
on things in the background. Hugin could then be used to ensure that
only control points on the background are used, not any on the
(moving) subject. Instead of having hugin render to a final panorama
(which would be gibberish in this context), simply leave it in
positioned tiffs, which could then be reconstructed into a video
similar to the one in the above GIF.

Any thoughts on this? Things to watch out for? Anybody know of any
tools for decomposing a video to component frames, and then
recomposing a video from altered frames?

--
Urban Artography
http://artography.ath.cx