[ptx] [Fwd: Re: panoramic pictures color adjustments]

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Sun Jan 8 21:08:13 GMT 2006

Hi Daniel,

> Again, I really think we should strive for modularity. Why don't we
> think in terms of Unix utilities: small programs, doing something
> well, and replaceable?
>
> I suggest we do colour-correction in a sequence of TIFF files, and
> generate a bunch of TIFF files as output (or maybe PSDs). That way we
> can replace the algorithm/program as desired to see which one performs
> better.
>
> If we put it inside nona or enblend then we risk creating a huge,
> monolithic monster. In the same line, I would favor vignetting
> correction as a stand alone program too. Sometimes people just want
> that (same idea as in PTlens).

Actually, while it is not excatly the unix philosphy, I don't think that
color correction doesn't fit into enblend. Since enblends task is to blend
overlapping images, this is probably a good place (maybe better than in a
stitcher/remapper). Actually, nona's stitching capabilities are not very
good, because I can use enblend afterwards...

Also, with the current programs nobody hinders you to use an additional
blending program on the images after they have been remapped and before they
are fed into enblend. The same with vignetting correction. So it is not that
bad from the flexibility point of view.

Hmm, both have advantages. Having many small utilities (like the netpbm
package, or the pfstools) will increase the flexibility of the system.
However it is sometimes harder to use them directly, and one has to spend
some more diskspace for temporary results (which many times should not be
saved as 8 bit images, but as 16 bit or float format). If images are piped
between the different programs, often both sending and receiving programs
might require memory for the same image (if they need to apply non-local
operations). This is quite important, since panoramas can easily grow to
extreme sizes.

This is the main reason that I haven't written separate image loading,
vignetting correction, remapping and blending programs.
I need all the functionality together in hugin anyway.

If there is a need for such programs, I can easily produce simple ones that
just do just one task and write out the results.