[ptx] HDR workflow

JD Smith jdsmith at as.arizona.edu
Tue Feb 7 04:43:20 GMT 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 12:40 AM, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

> Hi JD,
>
>> Does Hugin support the float or logluv encoded TIFF HDR files output
>
> It supports float tiff files right now. I haven't tried with logluv
> yet, but
> I think I probably need to convert the logluv -> float inside hugin.
>
> I plan to write an import routine that uses pfstools to read many
> kinds of
> hdr images.
>
>> Where are the holes in this workflow?  I presume there is not a
>> convenient way to find control points on the HDR images.
>
> Currently hugin will just scale 0 .. 1.0 in the float to 0 .. 255 for
> display and preview purposes. this is not good for hdr images. more
> work is
> needed in that area.

Thanks Pablo, good to know.  A simple display gamma would go a long
way to making the images workable, I think.  Do you do the same for
all extended depth images, e.g. 16bit TIFFs?

I had another notion.  Since I plan on adding only 4 stops to my
10-12bits of RAW data by bracketing with 3 images, it seems I should
be able to compress the full extended dynamic range into a normal
16bit TIFF, which is somewhat easier to deal with from a panorama
stitching/tone mapping point of view.  Has anyone experimented going
beyond RAW for HDR applications starting with the 16bit TIFF format?

JD