Renewing OSX Distribution (was Re: [ptx] Hugin 0.6 on OS X Crashing)

Ippei UKAI ippei_ukai at mac.com
Thu Aug 10 00:00:36 BST 2006

On 2006-08-09, at 01:32, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

> Hi Ippei,
>
>> Autopano-sift
>> More people feel autopano-sift optional compared to enblend, and I
>> think it can be rather dealt as a plugin rather than an integral
>> component. It also has stability issues with shell scripts. So it
>> should be dealt on a different thread.
>
> Isn't the main problem that autopano-sift requires mono?

That's part of it. But if that's the only problem we should just ship
autopnao-sift inside the bundle too. We can warn the user if mono
isn't installed. No installation other than D&D HuginOSX except Mono.
(We could even ship mono's installer package together for the sake of
end users.)

I thought the reason we do not even include autopano-sift in our
packages is that autopano-sift has a patent problem. If it shouldn't
be used for commercial purposes (says so when it runs) unlike other
part of hugin, then we have to treat it as an optional. In that
sense, we can't really consider autopano-sift as "a part of hugin"
like enblend. (Being inside an application bundle literally means the
file is a part of that application.)

> Actually somebody has uploaded a C version of autopano-SIFT to the
> hugin patches page. Unfortunately it creates different control
> points as the original. I had a quick look at the sourcecode and
> its probably a small error that is hard to spot.

That would do the job at least to make the process much more stable
than gluing Mono and two autopano-sift executables using shell
script. I was hoping Mono's WinForms get's more stable on Mac so that
autopanosift-win32 can just run on Mac.

Anyway. autopano-sift works reasonably stable for many users.
Simplifying the packaging and documentation would improve the user
experience a lot. We should see how it goes with 0.6.1 before taking
any alternative.

Ippei

--
   MSN & AIM: ippei_ukai at mac.com  (Skype: ippei_ukai)