[ptx] Re: Renewing hugin OSX Distribution

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Wed Aug 9 18:17:49 BST 2006

Hi all,

Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

>> Suggested change to hugin itself
>>
>> In the preference, the paths to enblend and autopano should be the
>> choice between "Search Default Locations" and "Specify custom path".
>> On Linux, "default search locatins" would be the bin search paths, and
>> on Mac, would be "Application Support" folders of user and system
>> levels, and inside the .app application bundle.
>
> Yes, this might clarify things for the user. Do you want to add this
> yourself?

Hmmm, actually what is the problem of the current approach? On linux all the
binaries are usually installed in the path anyway, so the current situation
is fine. On Windows, the installer sets the right paths during installation.

So the only configuration that needs improvements would be the OSX
installation. I think the GUI should be left like it is, and the path should
include the main bundle directory where the enblend is shipped. Then, by
default the programs from the bundle are used. If the user would like to use
a different version of the helper programs, he can always enter the full
path for it. Am I missing something?

Also, the user has to be able to specify the command, not just the path to
it! Otherwise people can't use any other programs, and would have to rename
smartblend.exe to enblend.exe and so on, which is confusing...