[ptx] longstanding & new problems/questions with 0.6

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Wed Aug 9 09:39:39 BST 2006

Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
>> here some problems & questions that have arised while using hugin. most
>> of them have already been reported here - unfortunately, most of them
>> also received no response...
>
> Sorry for not responding to all messages, but I'm currently quite busy
> and don't have a much of time for hugin development. Naturally, given
> the little time I tend to implement things that I'd like to use myself.

sure, i'm very thankful for hugin & i'm sorry if that sounded harsh :)

> Especially for "easier" stuff, like checking for additional programs,
> please feel free to contibute patches.

oh, if only i had skills... attracting more developers to hugin would be
nice, of course

>> all of these are valid as of hugin 0.6.
>
>> 1. tiff compression level field in sticher tab is disabled both for lzw
>> & deflate compressions. seems strange.
>
> Yes, the compression level for these is currently hardcoded somewhere in
> the vigra library. Could be changed, but no time..

ok, thanks for the answer. i was just very curious about a field that
was there, but could not be changed :)

>> 2. preview :
>> enable auto. disable all images, click on one of them twice. button
>> shows that image is inactive, but actually it is displayed. might be
>> related to next one.
>>
>> 3. it is possible to crash hugin by enabling auto in preview & quickly
>> clikcing on image buttons. i have reported this one a lot of times, i
>> even tried producing a backtrace, which i sent to this list on 2006.06.30.
>
> I'll try to look into the problem.

if you can not reproduce it & the backtrace is not helpful, i can try
reproducing it with whatever debugging is needed.
last time building with debug required quite a lot of hdd space, though
- something around 1gig at the compilation time, i think.

>> 4. building libpano & hugin on slackware still requires manually
>> exporting -lm. i've whined about this countless times :)
>
> Any idea how to detect in the configure script if it is required?

i discovered that hugin no adds this flag, only libpano does not. i
expanded on this in my other replay, but in short - maybe libpano can do
the same hugin is doing now ;)

>> 5. in some case still deletes two keypoints when selected from the image
>> window - reported here on 2005.12.15, even with a testcase. which is
>> unaccessible by now already...
>
>> 6. it is possible to open vignetting dialog several times - probably was
>> not intended to do that.
>
> Yep, not very useful...
>
>> 8. the new vignetting removal functionality is really great, but it
>> seems that automatic estimation always slightly overestimates for me. am
>> i doing something wrong ? what would be the basic guidelines to achieve
>> the best results ?
>
> Currently there is no easy way to correct only for 90%. You could try to
> lower the values of the r^6 parameter a little bit, if it overcorrects.
>
> Since the correction by division is only valid for linear data, it might
> help to set the gamma (in the pano tab) to 2.2, or try with linear raw images.

currently i am adjusting parameters by hand & looking at the preview,
but i'll try these things. if i can =)

thanks for the answer & hugin.

--
  Rich