Renewing OSX Distribution (was Re: [ptx] Hugin 0.6 on OS X Crashing)

Ippei UKAI ippei_ukai at mac.com
Tue Aug 8 23:37:08 BST 2006

Can I try summarising a bit about the installation issues on OSX?

The problem with HuginOSX+enblend on Mac is that the current
distribution is rather non-standard and not very obvious how to
install. It's based on the "Drug and Drop installation", but enblend
is not inside HuginOSX application but in the Tools folder
separately. This is the decision made by the project leaders so to
clearly divide enblend from hugin because it is from different project.

Technically, HuginOSX is already made so that enblend stays inside
it. Enblend is so an important functionality to hugin, that although
it is from a separate project, I feel it should stay as a part of
HuginOSX application. (many applications on Mac does this)

For end users, it is the best to have HuginOSX application ready to
use (including enblend inside the application). The license is both
GPL anyway, and installation will be a single DnD to wherever user
wants to install. This is the ideal distribution recommended by Apple
too. (We can always separately take care of advanced users with
command line requirements.)

The alternative is to use Installer Package. OSX has default
Installer application, and we can make packages for it. In this case
user will choose whether enblend be installed or not, and where
things should be installed. Note Apple's installer does not have
uninstallation, and often is unnecessary unless the software really
needs be so complex.

Autopano-sift
More people feel autopano-sift optional compared to enblend, and I
think it can be rather dealt as a plugin rather than an integral
component. It also has stability issues with shell scripts. So it
should be dealt on a different thread.

Suggested change to hugin itself

In the preference, the paths to enblend and autopano should be the
choice between "Search Default Locations" and "Specify custom path".
On Linux, "default search locatins" would be the bin search paths,
and on Mac, would be "Application Support" folders of user and system
levels, and inside the .app application bundle.

Suggested Installation (HuginOSX and enblend)

- Current
HuginOSX: DnD
enblend:  Either using AppleScript (that puts enblend into
HuginOSX.app), or manual placement with specifying path in preference
- 1x DnD (The best if ok to put enblend inside HuginOSX)
HuginOSX: DnD
enblend: Inside HuginOSX.app (If the user wants to use enblend from
commandline, download the tools package)
- 2x DnD (still better than current)
HuginOSX: DnD
enblend: DnD to Application Support folder by user
- 1x Installer Pkg
HuginOSX: Installer Pkg
enblend: Installer Pkg

(DnD is Drag and Drop installation, and Installer Pkg is standard OSX
installer package.)

Suggested Distribution of command line tools

- Current: as a directory, in the same download as HuginOSX+enblend
- separate .tgz to download
- .tgz in the same download as HuginOSX+enblend
- Installer Pkg in the same download as HuginOSX+enblend

What do you think?

Ippei

--
   MSN & AIM: ippei_ukai at mac.com  (Skype: ippei_ukai)