[ptx] Re: Hugin for OS X problems

Carl von Einem einem at gmx.de
Fri Nov 4 19:39:35 GMT 2005

Hi,

From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel at astound.net>

[...]
> Since you are just getting started you should probably be working with smaller
> images at this time.  There is a significant learning curve to using these
> tools and when working with very large stitches you magnify that learning
> curve.  A 12 image stitch should probably wait until you have a least a
> handful of smaller stitches under your belt.  Go in the back yard or down the
> street and shot some 3 or 4 image panos to help learn more about the tools.

Maybe he doesn't have the right lens for a 3 or 4 shot pano. Another
"solution" would be to resize the 12 images first in Photoshop,
GraphicConverter or The Gimp and then feed them into Hugin.

> Yes it is normal for your CPU to be maxed out while an image is being
> stitched.  This is an extremely CPU intensive task.  As to what affect hiding
> Hugin has I can't offer any insights.

Denis, there is an application in your Programs/Utilities/ folder: Activity
start that and also the console to see what is happening. Quit all other
apps you don't need while stitching.

> Hal

> On Thursday 03 November 2005 01:44 pm, Denis Héraud wrote:
>
>>> After having several issues stitching two images together, I'm now on
>>> the right track! Last night I tried to stitch 12 images together into
>>> a 360 degree panorama.

12 images of what size?
[...]
>>> Second is that I only have about 4GB of HD space free on this
>>> computer, and when I got up this morning I had a system error message

Not enough disk space on an iBook? Try to get an external drive (USB or
better FireWire). Also useful for "backups" of valuable data while your
iBook is out there in the wild wild world.

[...]
>>> (Mac OS X 10.4.3, iBook G4 933mhz 640MB DDR SDRAM)

640 MB RAM is close to nothing. Again, see Activity for usage of CPU,
RAM etc. I just recently switched from a G4 867 MHz 1.12 GB RAM to a G5,
the G4 just crawled with my panoramas. Plenty of RAM now really helps.

regards,
Carl