[ptx] Some questions about Hugin [Debian packaging]

Florent Bayle florent.bayle at free.fr
Mon Jul 18 14:03:35 BST 2005

Le Lundi 18 Juillet 2005 14:09, Pablo d'Angelo a écrit :
> Florent Bayle schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm working on packaging hugin for Debian [official packages], an I have
> > some questions :
>
> Great! So hugin is going to be include in debian officially soon?

Yes, now that there is libpano12 in Debian, there is no reasons to don't have
hugin too (libpano12 takes a long time to be included because of Ipix patent
[and it's still a problem, see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=309257 ]).

> >  - which applications are containing SIFT code (only sift_keypoints, or
> > also panosifter) ?
>
> No, its just sift_keypoints. However, both of these utilities are
> obseleted by autopano and autopano-sift. I will cleanup the hugin
> source, and remove these parts from the main hugin package.
>
> I have just removed these programs:
>   - panosifter
>   - automatch

Ok, so there is no SIFT sourcecode remaining ?

> After this cleanup, the only non GNU GPL sources included are the
> modified vigra sourcecode and the jhead sourcecode.

I've found (on an old message of the list) two files which contains non
GPL-compatible sourcecode :
 - src/include/vigra_ext/PhaseCorrelation.h :
    This code is copyright Lyndon Hill, 10 August 2001. You are free to modify
    and copy it as you like but your work must cite my name properly. No
    commercial usage is allowed.
    The code is made available for research purposes only.
    USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. No warranty is implied.
 - src/klt/klt.c
    Copyright (1997) The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior
    Univeristy.  Except for commercial resale, lease, license or other
    commercial transactions, permission is hereby given to use, copy, modify,
    and distribute this software. STANFORD MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR
    WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THIS SOFTWARE.
    Developed by Stan Birchfield.  Questions, comments, and suggestions
    about the code should be sent to the author at birchfield at cs.stanford.edu.
    Inquiries to adapt this code for commercial use should be directed
    to the Office of Technology Licensing of Stanford University,
    http://www-leland.stanford.edu/group/OTL, (415) 723-0651.

If these files are linked with some GPL files, it's a GPL violation, and they
couldn't be included in Debian.
If they aren't linked with GPL files, they can be included in Debian, but due
to restriction of commercial usage, they are not compatible with DFSG (Debian
Free Software Guidelines
[ http://www.debian.org/social_contract.en.html#guidelines ]) so they will be
put in non-free part of Debian.

> >  - why is vigra source code included in hugin sources ? Can't we use the
> > "official" vigra
> > (http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/vigra/) ?
>
> I have made some changes to the vigra library (mainly the code to
> read/write image files with alpha channel). I haven't merged the changes
> into back into the official vigra tree yet.

Ok, did you plan to merge it ? Because I'm not the maintainer of Debian Vigra
package, and it's why I think that It'll cause some problems.

> > And some suggestions/bug reports :
> >
> >  - why do not set nona as default PTSticher (I'll do that in my package
> > because PTStitcher will certainly not be included in Debian).
> >  - there is some errors in README file :
> >    - sift licence is in "LICENCE_SIFT" and not in "SIFT_LICENCE"
> >    - autopano is not distributed with Hugin, so if you want to let it in
> > README, you should specify the website address
>
> There was an old experimental autopano program included, before
> Alexandre's autopano became availabble.

Ok. I'll wait for next "release candidate" version of hugin (or maybe just
take a cvs snapshot) to continue my packaging.

Thanks a lot to take the time to reply to me.

--
Florent