[ptx] Image resolution of stitched images

Philipp B. Koch phkoch at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Apr 26 14:16:10 BST 2005

I have a question about the image resolution of images being stitched
with Hugin. Since I haven't found this topic in the mailing list
subjects, I hope it has not already been dealt with.

My source images (made with Nikon Coolpix 5400) are 2592 x 1944 pixels
(= 5 MP) of size and their resolution is 300 pixels/inch when being
opened in Photoshop. After stitching them together with Hugin, image
size (both pixel measures and printing size) is pretty huge while
resolution is only 72 pixels/inch. For example: The original image
printing height (source images) shown in Photoshop would be 16,46 cm at
300 pixels/inch -- the stitched images have a height of 71,12 cm at 72
pixels/inch. This is a problem because printing them shows bad results
(ugly small squares in the image caused by low resolution). First I
thought, this might be caused by Enblend, but already the result images
(flatened TIFF using PTStitcher, no color/brightness correction)
generated by Hugin are like that.

How can I avoid Hugin from setting down image resolution? What am I
doing wrong?

Thanks, Ph.Koch (Berlin, Germany)