[ptx] hmmm... are there any in-depth explanations of the hugin optimizations?

Hal V Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sat Apr 23 17:54:11 BST 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 11:33 pm, Rob Park wrote:
> So I'm working on updating my tutorial... I went out and took a quick
> panorama of a local park... but I'd been having a hell of a time
> getting it to stitch right...
>
> I couldn't figure out what the problem was. There were horrible stitch
> lines, buildings split in half, etc. My first instinct was that
> autopano was generating bad control points but I looked them over
> meticulously and they all seemed to be exactly correct in the
> images... then I played with different optimisations, and the images
> just would not line up at all... until I did the "optimise for barrell
> distortion", suddenly everything is lining up nicely. I've never used
> this one optimization before, I'm not sure what barell distortion is
> (though this is the second panorama I've made with my new camera, so
> perhaps this camera has more barell distortion than my last one did?).

Barell distorsion refers to the curvature that all lenses impart to the image.
In most cases this curvature causes straight lines to bow outward and if this
is bad enough it will look sort of like a barell thus the name.  If the lines
bow inward then it is called pin cushion distorsion.  But this is really the
same thing only going the other direction.

I have found that it is usefull to calibrate my lenses so that I have more
exact numbers to use when optimizing.  There are a number of web sites that
have directions on how to do this.  But it basically involves shooting a pano
of something with lots of vertical and horizontal lines (hint think steel and
glass office buildings) with large overlaps between the images (>50%).  For
best results you should be shooting from a tripod with a well setup pano
head. Then you set your control points and make sure these are all good ones
and then optimize for everything.  When you go to the lens tab the results
are some fairly good numbers for your lens.  You can then save this for use
in other projects.  Also if you are using a zoom lens you will need to do
this a various focal length settings as this can and often does change
considerably at different focal length settings.  Also zoom lenses tend to
have significantly more barell distortion than do prime lenses.  F stop does
not affect lenses distorsion.