[ptx] New, easier Hugin installer

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 23 10:39:26 BST 2005

--- Robert William Hutton <rwh at helms-deep.cable.nu>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first post to the list, and first
> contribution to the Hugin
> effort.

All contributions welcome :-)

> I recently downloaded and installed Hugin on
> Windows, and found the
> experience relatively difficult, with lots of
> different downloads
> required from all over the place.  There were even
> multiple different
> versions of each tool, and you have to make sure
> that you get the right one.

Yes this is a problem.

> I thought that there must be an easier way.
>
> All of the tools are freely downloadable, so I have
> made an installer
> that includes them all.  It sets up the registry
> settings correctly,
> assigning the .pto and .oto file extensions to the
> correct applications,
> as well as the settings required for hugin to find
> all of its backend
> applications.  It puts pano12.dll in the correct
> system folder.
>
> Anyway, comments/criticisms/bug reports are welcome.

The nsi file that we use (utils/hugin.nsi) has the
same functionality (Uncomment the HUGIN_ALLINONE
definition) but if I remember correctly, the reasons
we didn't do this by default were:
1. Issues with licensing and patents (The SIFT
algorithm specifically)
2. We wanted to get permissions from all the relevant
authors first.

http://users.on.net/~rwh/hugin/installer/setup-Hugin-0.5beta3.exe

http://users.on.net/~rwh/hugin/installer/hugin_installer.zip

> InnoSetup is Free software, and is available from
> here:
>
> http://www.jrsoftware.org/

The reason we choose nullsoft rather than Innosetup
was based in part on the fact that the nullsoft
installer was OSI certified, but mainly because we had
experience with it on other projects.

regards,
Doug