[ptx] Is there a solution for this kind of ugly pano ?

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Wed Apr 20 11:36:23 BST 2005

On Tue 19-Apr-2005 at 20:27 +0200, Edouard Gomez wrote:

> I realize that as soon as i  have some not so sperical pano, the
> results are looking  quite ugly whatever i use  equirectilinear,
> cylindrical, or linear mappings.

> http://ed.gomez.free.fr/gallery/index.php?gallery=./000%20Panoramiques/Maroc&image=maroc-1.jpg

The picture of the mosque is in equirectangular format and should
look much better with a 'normal' lens (rectilinear format).  I would
be tempted to align the verticals too:

  http://hugin.sf.net/tutorials/architectural/

  (in French: http://hugin.sf.net/tutorials/architectural/fr.shtml )

> http://ed.gomez.free.fr/gallery/index.php?gallery=./000%20Panoramiques/Strasbourg&image=cathedrale.jpg

The (rectilinear) picture of Strasbourg cathedral looks quite nice
to me.  You have cropped the bottom half of the output image, which
is why there is so much more distortion at the top than at the
bottom.

I would do one of these things:

- Align the verticals and accept that the picture is extremely
  distorted.

- Centre the output vertically so there is as much distortion at the
  top as at the bottom (ie. experiment with changing the 'pitch' for
  the anchor image).

- Centre the output vertically and convert to fisheye format.  Hugin
  doesn't output fisheye format so you need to use the gimp plugin.

--
Bruno