[ptx] Hugin - lens management and enblend

Hal V Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sun Apr 17 05:22:23 BST 2005

I noticed that running enblend from Hugin is slow when blending larger data
sets.  Enblend was using all available memory and paging activity was very
high.  So I looked on the enblend web site and found out that there is a
command line switch to control how much memory enblend will use (-m amount of
memory in megabytes).  So I went into hugin preferences and added the
argument -m 756 for enblend.  But this did not work as enblend used the same
amount of memory.  I then ran enblend from the command line with the same
input files and the -m switch and it used the specified amount of memory.  It
also blended these images in about 10 minutes instead of close to one hour.
So it appears that hugin is not correctly passing this argument to enblend.

I spent some time this last week shooting a set of images to be able to
calibrate my lenses.  I used a building with lots of vertical and horizontal
lines and lots of overlap between images.  Then after putting in lots of
vertical and horizontal control points along with normal control points I
optimized for everything.  OK at that point the lens info should have been a
very good set of custom parmeters for my camera/lens.  I then saved the file
using lens management save.  I gave it a name like "50mm Nikkor f1.4"
expecting it to be saved as  "50mm Nikkor f1.4.ini".  But hugin saved it as
"50mm Nikkor f1.4" and then hugin could not find the file when I selected
Lens Management Load.  So this needs to be corrected to allow users to have
dots in their file names.  After all I might want to also have a lens
management file for my 50mm Nikkor f2.0 lens.

BTW after figuring out what was going on I used my new custom lens parameter
file on another project and when I optimized for Positions and Barrel
Distortion all of my control points were less than 1 pixel off.  Average was
0.254517 standard deviation 0.285064 and max 0.527500.