[ptx] nona vs. PTStitcher

Hal V Engel hvengel at astound.net
Thu Apr 7 17:27:36 BST 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 12:01 am, Mike Runge wrote:
snip

> I would like to use the multi-layer-tiff format, nona provides (one tiff
> with several layers, each one is only that big like it is really needed
> and inhabits positioning information). There was a patch for enblend 1.3
> (I'm still using 1.3) to handle this format and gimp 2.x can read it.
> Unfortunately gimp cannot write this format - otherwise this workflow
> would be perfect for me.

I too would like GIMP to be able to handle layered tiff files fully.  I also
looked at the current development branch change list for 2.3 and it looks
like this will not be fixed in 2.4.  But GIMP does support saving layered
files in its native file format.  So you can save the image as a .xcf file
while you are working on it.  Not the best solution but it is a work around
for this problem.

I am a member of the GIMP Developer email list.  So after 2.4 settles down I
will post the request to fully support tiff files to the list to see if this
can be fixed in 2.6 or what ever version follows 2.4.