[ptx] RE: new panos

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Thu Sep 16 22:59:34 BST 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Philippe Gac wrote:

> > Some nice scenery there. However, I'd really shoot with exposure lock, and
> > use enblend on the result instead of trying to use the PTStitcher color
>
> On the IXUS V3, exposure lock is obtained by keeping the button pressed half way... many times it was lost, and it was
> often ruined by clouds

Hmm, but that just holds the focus, and not the exposure, or?

Doesn't the IXUS V3 have a panorama mode, like all the other Canon cameras
(I got a Powershot A40, one level below the IXUS)? Otherwise you have to
shoot in manual mode.

> > correction. Also, higher jpg quality will look a lot nicer.. Many of
>
> jpg quality is already maximal: 3 Mpix superfine
> and 2x zoom!

Oh, I'm sure that they are quite good, but the images on your web page are
compressed WAY to much. please use something like quality 85 or so for them.
makes bigger files.

> > the images look very overexposed to me.
>
> to me too... but aligning exposure on less exposed views produced a lot of noise. if I had still more time, I would work
> over it...
> I edited some of them but unfortunately, GIMP's colour selection is buggy on big surfaces. I hope color correction tools
> will be more efficient in the future

Hmm, I just use the panorama mode, and expose for the brightest part when
starting a panorama. This works quite well, execpt for really dark parts.
Then you won't have to worry about color adjustment in gimp or something...

Careful capturing is the most important thing of a pano, I think.

No image in my gallery at
http://wurm.wh-wurm.uni-ulm.de/~redman/gallery/panoramas has been
coloradjusted in the gimp.

> many are also badly clipped (anarchic orientation; no pod!) and poorly merged (foreground seldom matched; again, no
> pod!). I'm waiting impatiently to be offered a Canon EOS10D with a pano headed pod...

*g* me too! (anybody want a special feature in hugin? ;-)