[ptx] External command line tools used by Hugin

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Wed Sep 15 17:38:52 BST 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Ippei UKAI wrote:

> I'm just wondering what command line tools are used by hugin app, as I
> need them for mac.
>
> I found autopano, autopano-sift, PTstitcher, nano, and enblend as I
> explore hugin app.
>
> Is autopano_old just an old version of autopano? autopano seems to have
> no opened source, so I may have to ask the author to bring it to Mac.

No, it isn't. Its a simpler program than the one from autopano.kolor.com.
It works only for flat, single row pano's without much rotation.

> But if old one works, hugin should have autopano_old option in Feature
> Matching. As to autopano-sift, it is not my job now to port it to Mac,
> but should not be very difficult as there is GTK# for Mac.
>
> As to PTstitcher, it seems to have no opened source, so it is
> impossible to bring it to Mac OS X. But anyway, when I choose
> PTstitcher for stitching and try to stitch, Hugin hangs. This is a bug
> to fix.

Hmm, strange. probably the PTStitcher should be disabled then.. How does the
mac version of Panotools work without PTStitcher?

> Stitching with nona, which is in the menu in Stitcher panel, works fine
> even though I have no nona executable on my machine. Is it correct that
> nona is integrated inside hugin and not external?

Yes.

> Enblend, of which I found GUI tool and executable, Xblend
> (http://www.kekus.com/xblend/), has option in nona stitching panel, but
> has never been selectable. This one should be able to deal in the same
> way as windows does.

Hmm, it is used by default, if "high quality tiff" is selected.. Or
it can be selected manually, when using nona with TIFF output.

> I tried out Xblend with multi-tiff stitched panorama image. It returned
> me the error exactly same as I got with using hugin compiled with
> libtiff without lzw-compression-kit. Not only Xblend but many other
> applications can't open tiff internally compressed. Is it possible to
> use libtiff without compressing option? It is more standard way of
> using libtiff, I suppose.

Well, its just a matter if the libtiff that was used for enblend supports
compressed tif's. Which it really should (maybe not LZW, but at least
Deflate and some others..). If not enblend should be linked against a
libtiff that supports compression.

How do you create the lzw tiffs? Nona doesn't create LZW tiffs, but uses
Deflate.