[ptx] HuginOSX news

Daniel Griscom griscom at suitable.com
Tue Sep 7 14:01:49 BST 2004

At 5:19 PM +0900 9/7/04, Ippei UKAI wrote:
>Actually, File types are different from Creator codes.
>File type specifies the file type like extension on DOS/Win,
>and Creator code specifies which application the file will be opened with.
>Every application has Creator code even if the application does not
>handle files. The operating system uses it internally. The default
>Creator, if not registered, is "????", but it does not display
>application icon very well.

OS X uses two separate methods to determine which application is
associated with a specific document. The first is an Mac OS 9 legacy,
which is the Creator code (four characters), kept in the file's
metadata. The second is the classic file suffix. The former is more
durable (can't be broken by changing the name), but is lost when
transferred to another platform. The latter is easily broken by a
user, but is more obvious and platform-independent.

When building a Mac application, you have to specify this code, so we
might as well specify a legitimate one. It's not a problem to have
one developer register a code and another developer use it, as long
as no two applications use the same code. So, if Pablo doesn't want
to, then Ippei should. Or, I could; I've registered about a dozen
creator codes in my time, and have no problem registering another one.

Let me know if I should,
Dan

--
Daniel T. Griscom           Work:  (781) 665-0053
Suitable Systems            Fax:   (781) 665-7106
152 Cochrane Street         griscom at suitable.com
Melrose, MA 02176-1433      http://www.suitable.com/