[ptx] difference between rectangular and cylindrycal pano

Rik Littlefield rj.littlefield at computer.org
Sun Oct 31 02:38:20 GMT 2004

Yili,

I think of cubic as actually 6 separate rectilinear projections, each
onto one face of a cube.

The 6 separate images are packaged into a single file with appropriate
headers to make a QuickTime VR .mov file, for example.

The beauty of cubic projection is that it makes life easy for a pano
viewer.  Given any angle of view (yaw/pitch/roll/fov), each of the 6
cube faces can be *exactly* remapped onto a rectilinear viewing window
using just a perspective projection.  This is so easy to compute that it
is found in most modern graphics hardware, accessible by standard
libraries such as OpenGL.

The same property (fast exact remapping to viewing window) would be true
of the planar faces of any other polyhedron approximating the sphere.
The cube is just easy to understand and natural to work with.  See
Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion projection at
http://www.geni.org/energy/library/buckminster_fuller/dymaxion_map/dymaxion_projection.html
for a fascinating static map of the Earth, derived from an icosohedral
approximation.

--Rik