[ptx] tube

Ute und Karsten Kiessling UteKarsten.Kiessling at t-online.de
Sat Mar 27 14:31:29 GMT 2004

On Fri 05-Mar-2004 at 12:15:25PM +0100, Sebastian Nowozin wrote:

> my brother and me travelled some interesting road in Shanghai, that
>would make a very nice picture as very long linear picture. Like
>photographing each side of the road, complete as one very long
>picture. We thought and discussed a bit
> about it and then end up at a different kind of panorama image, we
>called "tube".

I have found two articles on this issue perhaps this is intersting for you:

1. "Video Mosaicing using Manifold Projection" 1997

Benny Rousso     Shmuel Peleg     Ilan Finci
Institute of Computer Science
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
91904 Jerusalem, ISRAEL
Contact E-Mail: peleg at cs.huji.ac.il

Abstract:
Video mosaicing is commonly used to increase the visual field of view
by pasting together many video frames. Existing mosaicing methods
are effective only in very limited cases where the image motion is
almost a uniform translation or the camera performs a pure pan.
Forward camera motion or camera zoom are very problematic for
traditional mosaicing.

A mosaicing methodology to allow image mosaicing in the most
general cases is presented, where frames in the video sequence are
transformed such that the optical flow becomes parallel. This
transformation is modelled by a projection of the scene into some
manifold.

Manifold projection enables to define high-quality mosaicing even for
the most challenging cases of forward motion and of zoom. In addition,
view interpolation, generating dense intermediate views, is used to
overcome parallax effects.

The link is:

http://www.bmva.ac.uk/bmvc/1997/papers/peleg/paper.html

2. "Generalized Parallel-Perspective Stereo Mosaics from Airborne
Video" 2004

Zhigang Zhu,  Allen R. Hanson,  Edward M. Riseman  ,  IEEE

Abstract:

In this paper, we present a new method for automatically and efficiently
generating stereoscopic mosaics by seamless registration of images
collected by a video camera mounted on an airborne platform. Using a
parallel-perspective representation, a pair of geometrically registered
stereo mosaics can be precisely constructed under quite general
motion. A novel parallel ray interpolation for stereo mosaicing (PRISM)
approach is proposed to make stereo mosaics seamless in the
presence of obvious motion parallax and for rather arbitrary scenes.
Parallel-perspective stereo mosaics generated with the PRISM method
have better depth resolution than perspective stereo due to the
adaptive baseline geometry. Moreover, unlike previous results showing
that parallel-perspective stereo has a constant depth error, we
conclude that the depth estimation error of stereo mosaics is in fact a
linear function of the absolute depths of a scene. Experimental results
on long video sequences are given.

The link is:

http://www-cs.engr.ccny.cuny.edu/~zhu/tpami117016.pdf

Ciao