[ptx] Deghosting

UteKarsten.Kiessling at t-online.de UteKarsten.Kiessling at t-online.de
Sat Mar 27 11:28:15 GMT 2004

I have found a very impressiv article about automatic (!)
eliminating Ghosting in panoramas. They can automatic remove
Ghosting caused by moving people, clouds, trees in the wind
and also little parallax errors (!) in handheld panoramas.
Thats looks realy good (but the seamless blending is not
as good as by enblend):

"Eliminating Ghosting and Exposure Artifacts in Image Mosaics
Matthew Uyttendaele,Microsoft Research
Ashley Eden, Harvard University
Richard Szeliski, Microsoft Research

Abstract:

As panoramic photography becomes increasingly
popular, there is a greater need for high-quality
software to automatically create panoramic images.
Existing algorithms either produce a rough "stitch" that
cannot deal with common artifacts, or require user
input. This paper presents methods for dealing with two
artifacts that often occur in practice. Our first
contribution is a method for dealing with objects that
move between different views of a dynamic scene.
such moving objects are left in, they will appear blurry
and "ghosted". Treating such regions as nodes in a
graph, we use a vertex cover algorithm to selectively
remove all but one instance of each object. Our second
contribution is a method for continuously adjusting
exposure across multiple images in order to eliminate
visible shifts in brightness or hue. We compute
exposure corrections on a block-by block basis, then
smoothly interpolate the parameters using a spline to
get spatially continuous exposure adjustment. Our
enhancements, combined with previously published
techniques for automatic image stitching, result in a
high-quality automated stitcher that exhibits far fewer
artifacts than existing software."

For the full article look at:

http://research.microsoft.com/users/mattu/pubs/Deghosting.pdf

Best regards