[ptx] Linux installation problems

Phil Endecott spam-from-ptx-list at chezphil.org
Sun Mar 14 01:20:19 GMT 2004

Dear Hugin / Panorama Tools experts,

I was getting on splendidly with Hugin until I pressed the "Stitch Now!"
button.  It did nothing.  On investigation it seems that PTStitcher is
invoked but fails.  Having saved the script from Hugin, if I run PTStitcher
from the command line I get this:

$ PTStitcher -o panop.jpeg scrpt
Error Opening Scriptfile
Could not load Scriptfile

I'm hoping that someone will know immediately what I'm doing wrong.  But if
not, here are some more details.

I'm running this on a reasonably up-to-date Debian Testing machine.  I got
panorama-tools_2.6bml12-3_i386.deb from
bugbear.blackfish.org.uk/~bruno/panorama-tools and
hugin-20040220-1.i386.rpm from the same place, installed with alien.  ldd
gives sensible answers for hugin and PTStitcher.

I tried doing an strace of PTStitcher, and after the usual dynamic library

open("scrpt", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY) = -1 ENOTDIR
(Not a directory)

? Why is it passing O_DIRECTORY to open()?  It shouldn't be.  Could be an
strace() oddity though.  man 2 open describes what this is for, and that it
was introduced in kernel 2.1.126.  file reports that PTStitcher is "for
GNU/Linux 2.0.0", though again I don't know what that really means.

I considered rebuilding PTSticher from source, but can't find any source
code.  Only the source for the library seems to exist.  (If this is the
case, how hard would it be for Hugin to use the library API rather than
calling the executable?).

Is this a glibc version thing?  Do I need some old compatibility package?

I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person who's having this
difficulty.  Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Phil.