[ptx] Enblend Multiresolution Spline Blender

Andrew C Mihal mihal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 12 03:05:10 GMT 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> Can You explain what the algo does? I would be interessted about.

For the nearest neighbor transform, I don't think there is any hope of
describing it without a whiteboard. I looked at this paper:

Alsuwaiyel, M. and Gavrilova, M. (2000) "On the Distance Transform of
Binary Images," CISST'2000: The 2000 International Conference on Imaging
Science, Systems and Technology, Las Vegas, USA, USA, Vol. I, pp. 83-86

Search for gavrilova on google to find it. The paper is, how should I say,
full of errors. Even though it is only four pages it took me a few nights
to figure it out. I'm going to try to implement it - I think it can be
done with only two passes through the image. This is in comparison to the
thinning algorithm enblend currently uses - which does 4 passes for each
iteration!

> Can You explain the therm laplacian pyramids in short words for an non
> scientist (me)?

The idea is that you break down an image into its spatial frequency
components. The bottom of the pyramid is the same size as the original
image, but contains only the high-frequency components like sharp edges.
The next level up is half the size in each dimension, and contains the
next highest frequency components (not so sharp edges). You keep going up
the pyramid, and each level is smaller and smaller, and contains coarser
features. The top level is only 8x8 pixels or so, and has just the most
basic features in the image. Maybe a few pixels for the sky and a few for
the ground.

Once you build this pyramid, you can get the original image back by adding
all of the layers together.

I'll put some more images up on the enblend web page to better describe
what you see on each level. I need to modify enblend to output these
intermediate data structures anyway so I can hunt down some ways to save
memory - it's using too much to stitch anything bigger than 60 megapixels
or so except on really big machines.

Andrew

Andrew Mihal
www-cad.eecs.berkeley.edu/~mihal