[ptx] Enblend Multiresolution Spline Blender

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Wed Mar 10 20:40:57 GMT 2004

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004, Andrew C Mihal wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
>
> > Mine either. However, during stitching, nona calculates the distance (in
> > original pixel units, before remapping) from the image center for each point
> > in the panorama (for all images). I think it should be easy to use this to
> > create the needed mask
>
> I'm not convinced that it is enough to only know the distance to the
> center of each image. This will cause you to pick a seam line which is
> equidistant from the centers of two images. This is a straight line. For
> irregular overlaps, this is not a good line.

Usually, the overlaps are quite regular (no holes etc.). I think it should
be possible to use this method. But probably I missed something, can you
explain where you see the problems?

My logic was that with most cameras, the image quality degrades the more you
arrive at the borders. so its best to place the seam line so only the pixels
close to the image center are used.

I'll write a prototype of nona that will create suitable masks for blending,
and modify enblend to read these masks.

In the longer term, it would be nice to have a stitcher that does
the seaming. I see two ways:

1. keep enblend standalone, and add the features there, and call it
   from the stitcher.
2. convert enblend to use vigra data structures (and work with roi's) and
   call it directly from nona.

While 1. might be easier for now, but it will make it harder to support 16bit &
float images in the future. Also, tight interation into the stitching part
will be harder. The question is if you are comfortable with vigra, or not.

What would you prefer?

I can to do the conversion to vigra, but it'll take a few days.