[ptx] GIMP import of PSD

Soren H sjh_mp at 2pi.info
Tue Feb 3 23:59:23 GMT 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:58:34AM +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:
> On Mon 02-Feb-2004 at 02:55:01PM +1100, Soren H wrote:
> >
> > I see in the Hugin FAQ that Gimp is not expected to be able to read
> > the PSD output from PTStitcher.  I'm finding though that it loads up
> > fine with working masks for me in 1.3.20 and 2.0pre2 - provided I use
> > libpano that I compile myself.  If I use the .deb from Bruno's site,
> > it will fail with a channel compression error.
> >
> > 2) or have I stumbled across some library combination where it just
> > happens to work for me?
>
> Possibly, the 2.6bml12-3 deb (and source on sourceforge) has patches
> that apparently fixed various psd problems.
>
> The other deb (and source from Helmut's site) doesn't, so you may
> find that it is ok.

Ok, I also checked the 2.6bml08-2 and it works fine with the Gimp, so
the only problem is with the updated 2.6bml12-3 and it's associated
psd fixes.  Apparently the fixes for photoshop to be happy have broken
the compatibility with the Gimp.

It may be good to note this on the Hugin site, because using the
masked PSD output from PTStitcher is still the easiest way for someone
to get started with Hugin and edit the stitching in the Gimp.  The FAQ
currently makes it sound like a daunting task, whereas it's simply a
matter of having a Gimp new enough and a panotools old enough.

Soren