Panorama stitchers, feathering, seaming etc..

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Thu Oct 30 07:17:42 GMT 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> Am 29.10.03, 17:32 -0500 schrieb Ed Halley:
>
> > In general, I agree that hugin should be an interface and orchestrator,
> > not a number-cruncher or pixel-cruncher.

True. But I'll write code in a way that it can be used from inside hugin as
well.. think preview and that kind of stuff...

> > I would rather use the ImageMagick suite for backend tasks, as it's
> > easier to install and script externally than GIMP.  It has most of the
> > necessary 48bit support today, too.
>
> Now we are by the numbers, take a look at cinepaint, former filmgimp. It
> has floating point support - 96bit RGB beside traditional 8-bit and 16-bit
> per channel integers. If we want be open to do serious HDR, which is
> impossible even with ImageMagics 16-bit integers(48bit), an open door to
> cinepaint would be good.

For interactive editing, this would be definately a good choice then.

I'll write all my image processing stuff with vigra, so it can be adoped to
use any pixel type one could come up with, without touching the image
processing code.