new toolbar, guidance artwork?

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Thu Oct 30 02:55:19 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 18:08, Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> > Would anybody vehemently mind if I adopted a larger toobar button size,
> > and redid the artwork?
>
> Sure, go ahead. Well, for the icon size, I don't think that the icons need to
> be a lot bigger (the gimp icons look like 26x26 or so, at least from the
> screenshot I'm looking at right now), because I need the screen estate for
> point picking :) Whats the icon size you want to use?

Of all people, this group should understand that an increase from 22x22
to 26x26 is a 40% increase in image information.  ;)  I'm not talking
huge, just not tiny either.

> > As the interface matures, I'd also like to add user guidance artwork
> > inside the panels, as appropriate.  Things that would help new or
> > visually oriented users grok the meanings of the new optimizer
> > auto-modes and such.

My first interest is that "druid" concept in the preview frame, which
explains a number of key ways to improve results.  I figure ~four lines
of text and a 64x48 lozenge will not severely impact the quality of the
preview, and it will disappear entirely if the druid finds nothing to
suggest.

I'll get to more of these when we settle down some of the design.  But I
figure within the tabs themselves, besides the control points tab,
there's plenty of room for 48x32 lozenges to demonstrate modes.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]