your mail

Frederic frederic at gbiloba.org
Thu Oct 23 09:16:05 BST 2003

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 14:22, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> I remember from former discussions about installing phyton is an issue
> for others than linux users. So we had to switch completely to wxPhyton
> or stay with wxWindow.

Python is very simple to install. Under Linux, it exists on all distribs,
and under win32, you only need to execute a .exe installer. Same for
wxPython.

If you decide to develope the gui with wxPython, you don't need anymore
wxwindows (I mean, the C++ API).

And you are right. Python is not fast enough to do tasks such optimization,
so we need another language. It can be C++, or even just C. And there are
now some very nice solutions. Have a look at:

   http://www.scipy.org/site_content/weave

Even if interfacing C in Python is very simple, this project is usefull for
quick developping.

But maybe using Numeric Python could be enough. I don't know what you are
doing in hugin which need speed (the 'fine tune', I presume)... The other
point is the pano12 lib. There, the solution is swig.

> Anyway can You take an hand of an first step for phyton integration.
> Maybe You surprise us with an easy to handle and quick gui building
> mechanism. It would be enough to have something optional for this in
> hugin.

I will try to do something (only for the GUI part; not for the C/C++
integration). But I'm now working on 2 other (little) projects, so it may
take a while.

--
   Frederic

   http://www.gbiloba.org